Today is my lucky day if luck is defined as the privilege to compose the daily entry of the blog. It was been an excellent day in many other ways too. Every day is a mosaic of numerous colorful personalities, new insights and literally overwhelming hospitality.
We have had individual professional visits today. I had the pleasure of going to the Institute of Science, which is located in an old mansion. The building has been restored to former glory after having served as a children's hospital for many years. It was interesting to learn how the institute was co-operating with a voluntary organization in order to once again fill the mansion's former music room with the spoils of the Muses.
I had a rewarding meeting with a group of seven representatives of local organizations and the city department, not counting myself and my competent translator. We were discussing the organization, funding and challenges of cultural institutions. There is a genuine interest in trying to find ways to co-operate with Swedish counterparts and I will bring home several offers. The City of Perm is aspiring to become a Cultural capital of Europe and has an ambitious agenda.
After a late lunch most of the group gathered for a visit to Perm Art Gallery located in a former cathedral. The gallery contains a comprehensive collection of sculptures and paintings from the Renaissance and onwards making it a worthwhile visit.
We had a most memorable evening as Perm claims one of the best ballet schools in Russia, which is another way of typing world class, and we had the privilege to experience the Swan Lake at its best.
Closing on midnight I had a final job-related visit as a mecenat of a nearby Vitus Bering museum was enquiring about the opportunities of co-operation.
As I have hardly seen my dear colleagues today I have no amusing mishaps or cultural misunderstandings to report. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment